Monday, November 3, 2008

Emily, My Hero!



Today was a beautiful day here in Florida. We had made plans to meet up with some friends at a local park and have a picnic. Everyone had a great time, the kids ran around and played until they were tired out.

The particular park we went to was in a friend's neighborhood. You could park on either end of the park. We happened to park on the opposite side of where everyone else was. When it was time to go we said our goodbyes and headed back to the car. I unlocked the car, started it to get the air conditioning pumping and started to strap all 3 kids in. (We are watching a friend today while his Mommy is on a work trip.) It was a little chaotic getting everyone in, but I did, hopped out of the car, shut the sliding door and went to open the driver side door....only it was locked!!! Of course my bag with my phone was in the car as well. Panic overcame me as I realized all our friends were now gone from the park and it was too far to get to where they were not wanting to leave the my kid unattended in a locked and running car. Fortunately there were some very nice people still playing at the playground who let me borrow their phone to call Chris.

After I got a hold of him and he was on his way I could see the 2 smaller kids had already fallen asleep in their seats. I talked loudly into Emily's window to let her know Daddy was on his way to help Mommy get into the car and to just sit tight until he got there. Then I heard her little voice say, "Mommy, is it okay if I unbuckle, I think I can unlock the door?"

DUH!!!!!

Within seconds I was in the car driving home thanks to my quick thinking 3 year old. In my panic she was able to think of a solution. Sometimes I forget what a big girl she is becoming!

Thank God for Emily and that amazing brain God has put in her head!!!

1 comment:

Erica said...

I am so glad at least 1 of you could think clearly. That is so freaky!