I think most of you know that I have been working part-time at a coffee shop since January. The shop that I work at does more than coffee though. We have a full sandwich, soup and salad menu as well. Generally we serve 2 different soups each day and rotate them so as not to repeat them each day. If we have a lot of a particular soup left we'll save it and serve it again in 2 days. We store the soups in our fridge in large containers.
On Friday night as we were closing we looked and saw there was a pretty big container of lobster bisque in the fridge already. So we pulled one more soup for the next day from the freezer.
I generally close Friday nights and open Saturday mornings, so when it came time to put the soups out for the day I emptied the lobster bisque into it's pot along with the other soup selection for the day.
We had a customer come through our drive-thru and order the lobster bisque early on, which we happily served her. She drove away delighted I'm sure at the prospect of having lobster bisque for lunch.
A little while later one of my co-workers went to check on the soups and turn them down so they wouldn't burn. As she went to lift the ladle in the lobster bisque she was met with some resistance. She tugged a little and with some difficulty finally got it out. She then began to stir the soup and noticed somethings floating in the soup. She called me over and upon inspection of the soup we decided something wasn't right with the soup, so we pulled it to dump it and replace it with a new soup.
A few minutes later our boss walked in. I told him what was going on and he walked back to the kitchen to look at the lobster bisque. He put the ladle in the soup and started laughing. The previous day he had done an omelet station for a catering event. We had mistaken his left over eggs for lobster bisque soup!!!!
(To my defense, we have never had a large container of eggs like that in the fridge before and the color was the exact same as the lobster bisque we serve!)
We all learned a lesson that morning, make sure you label the contents of the container. And to the woman who I sold semi-cooked scrambled eggs to thinking it was lobster bisque soup, I sincerely apologize!!!!!
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment