Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Simple Conversation

So, this afternoon after the girls awoke from their naps I began to get them a snack. Emily declined the white cheddar rice cake I was offering. As I was handing Peyton hers, Emily started in with the demands of what she did want.

Emily: "I want a big girl cup."
Pause.
Emily: "I want apple juice."
Pause.
Emily: "I want chocolate milk."
Me: "Yes, your Majesty."
Emily: "I want apple juice in a big girl cup."
Me: "Yes, your Majesty."
Emily: "I'm not your Majesty, I'm Emily Paige."
Me: "Oh, sorry Emily Paige. How old are you?"
Emily: "3 and I'll be 4 on my next birthday."
Me: "Do you know how old mommy will be? 30."
Look of shock on Emily's.
Emily: "That's old! Are we going to bury you in the ground so you can go live with Jesus?"

I was pretty unsure how to respond to that one.

Our conversation progressed as she asked about who would live next to our neighbor, Alex, when we didn't live here anymore because we were in heaven with Jesus. She proclaimed that she would miss him so much. (We really don't ever play with our neighbor, we talk in passing, but it not like they are best friends.) I kid you not, she started crying big alligator tears. I couldn't help but laugh.

Then in a sweet tender moment she leaned in, put her lips on my cheek and said,
"I want apple juice."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too precious!! :-)